Sunday 29 September 2013

Stalker Fleet Assemble

Stalker Fleet Assemble

A large part of playing EVE in the AU time zone, especially in wormholes, is that you need to be able to find things to do by yourself when the rest of your corp is asleep.  One of my favourite past times is camping out in other people’s holes and just generally pissing them off, er, I mean having good fights with them!  Doing this requires relatively little asset investment and can be done quite effectively even while afk.

The only real challenge in this line of entertainment is finding the right kind of targets so to assist in doing so, about 2 years ago I started purchasing scanning alt characters off the market to fill up the spare slots on my accounts.
These scouts are nothing fancy, just a few mil SP, Astro 5, Covops 4, astro supports to 4.  They go for (or at least did when I was in the market) for 2-3bil, skill dependent, and are worth every penny.
I like to think of them as wormhole bookmarks that I can park in a system for weeks or even months without caring and they allow me to drop by and visit whenever I like.
They are also out of corp which helps when scouting targets.
I had to break out EVEmon to do the math but I currently have 13 fully covops capable characters across my accounts, including my mains.

So how do I use these scouts?
Well, some I use as backup scouts in our home system, others I have parked in systems of 'interest' but what I mainly use them for is keeping tabs on active low class wormholes with HS statics that I like to visit from time to time to shoot stuff in.
Generally these tend to be C2s with HS and C3/C4 statics though I don't insist on HS static systems but generally those are the most active.
I only really have 2 selection criteria on deciding which systems get the honour of hosting an authentic Jack Miton scout alt:

1.) They are active in the AU time zone.
2.) They piss me off.

The first category of people is self-explanatory since they give me someone to interact with in my TZ.  I also try to make them fun groups that will actually come fight me.  Often these are larger entities that don't have AU TZ as their peak time but do have some actives on at that time.
Previous groups in this category include The Kairs Syndicate, Clann Fian and Valkyrie Coalition, all of which were great fun to mess around with, though sadly I have since removed scouts from all 3 systems as they were needed elsewhere at one time or another, as well as the corps themselves fading in activity.

This brings me to the other group; people who piss me off.
This category mostly includes people who will not fight us when we connect to them, people who smack talk in local or, in the very special case of the most recent addition to this group; people who smack in local right after not fighting us.
These people I treat very differently than the first group.  I am not longer interested in fun fights with these guys, their holes I visit for ganks and general griefing.
Generally I will have 2 scouts in these systems, one that I openly show to the locals, most people add this one to their watch list, and the other that I take care to keep hidden.  I also often keep a PVP character and ship logged off inside the system itself, rather than just coming to visit. 
This offers several fun griefing opportunities.  Firstly, it lets me keep the scout they do know about logged in day and night to keep them paranoid about their activities and if they are POSing up/being careful when the scout is on, I can log it off and swap to the scout they don't know about and watch them go about their business in apparent safety.  It can also be quite entertaining to get my known scout 'accidentally' collapsed out of their system or even podded, only to blow up their orca next time they're rolling a hole carelessly.
Keeping the PVP toon in system allows for faster response times to gank opportunities and means any scouts they leave on their exit holes are worthless.
Lastly, just had a fight with the locals, ended up jumping to highsec and now need to head out or go to sleep?  Don't forget to leave your PVP ship orbiting their WH within jump range on the HS side :)

Anyway, as I briefly mentioned earlier, I have had to pull most of my deployed scouts out of target C2s over the past 6 months or so for various reasons but they are now free again and my month of camping BNI's lowsec with my combat toon is over so it is time for the stalker fleet to assemble once again.
So if you live in a suitable wormhole, you might find yourself hosting one of my alts soon.
And for those of you who will not fight when we come visit, know this; you owe me a kill mail.  It can be yours or it can be mine, but either way I will get it.

Oh and if you decide to really piss me off?  Remember, I'm not stuck in your hole with you; you're stuck in it with me.

JM

2 comments:

  1. Is there a reason you don't seek out a more active AU corp Jack? I know they are limited, but surely some exist?

    ReplyDelete